Saturday, November 8, 2008

Body Worlds 3


For date night on Friday, Landon surprised me by taking me up to Salt Lake City to see the Body Worlds 3 exhibit! The title of the exhibition is "The Story of the Heart." I thought it was really neat. But then again, I really enjoyed my anatomy lab here at BYU. Let me tell you, if we would have had these plastinated cadavers in our lab, I would have learned everything much easier. It was really cool to see the clean dissections without the mess due to hundreds of students poking around with their probes.
I thought the figures doing different activities were pretty sweet, as well as the narrative about the heart. Some of the activities included a hurdler, an archer, a male gymnast balancing on three wooden balls, a female gymnast on the beam, "lovers" (not inappropriate, I just can't think of a better way to describe it), a woman kneeling, ice skaters, a ski jumper, a javelin thrower, and others. I also thought the sagittal slice of the severely obese person was interesting. In most dissections, the fat is removed. I will never forget the time in lab when my TA showed us a cadaver they were working on that still had the fat in it... I can see something like that being a useful health promotion tool.
The story of the heart was very educational, informing of the dangers of smoking, why we should exercise, and why having a positive attitude helps foster a healthy heart.
It was a great experience for me... Landon on the other hand had a harder time with it. But he knew I wanted to go and loves me enough to have taken me.