Sunday, September 21, 2008

Health Promotion

This semester is my first semester as a graduate student at BYU. I am working on a Master of Science degree in Health Promotion. When I tell people this, they usually ask what it is or what I want to do with it. I feel like I don't do a good job at answering either. So here is a definition of Health Promotion that I really like.

"Health Promotion is the science and art of helping people change their lifestyle to move toward a state of optimal health. Optimal health is a balance of physical, emotional, social, spiritual, and intellectual health. Lifestyle change can be facilitated through a combination of efforts to enhance awareness, change behavior, and create environments that support good health practices."

Here is a list of sites where I could work.
  • Home as Mom
  • public schools
  • church (probably not as an occupation, but in callings maybe)
  • corporations
  • hospitals and clinics
  • fitness clubs
  • public health agencies- state and county health departments
  • volunteer agencies- Red Cross, American Heart Association, etc.
  • government agencies- police and fire depts
  • retirement centers and nursing homes
  • resorts
Hopefully that gives everyone more of an idea of what I'm doing. I'm loving it so far and am always trying to think of thesis possibilities.

No comments: