Friday, September 26, 2008

Grad School

I signed up for the GRE the other day, an important step in my pursuit of a Masters degree in Computer Science. I have to say, I am feeling a little overwhelmed with all of the things I need to get done over the next few months.... job and internship interviews, apply for graduation, apply for grad school... All of that of course, in addition to keeping up in my classes and work.

The computer science department lists the following on their graduate studies web page:

Selection to the MS program is based upon consideration of:
  • preparation in Computer Science,
  • GPA (recommended average of 3.25 where A is a 4.0. GPA is calculated on the last 60 hours).
  • general GRE exam (Recommended scores: Verbal:530, Quantitative: 700, Analytical: 4.5. Scores must be received before the application deadline for the applied semester),
  • letters of recommendation: Where possible, one or more of the letters of recommendation should be from faculty members with whom you have worked in a research capacity, or who have personal knowledge of your research and writing potential.
  • content of the letter of intent
Katherine found a web page somewhere that listed the averages of students accepted in previous years... I feel like the GRE scores on that page were closer to 560 on the verbal and 740 on the quantitative... so I have my work cut out for me.

Anyone have any suggestions on what I can do to get ready for the GRE? What are your experiences with the exam?

No comments: