Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Batman without Robin

I've had some version of the Sidekick telephone for the last 4 years. The first one was a birthday present from my parents... my Dad took me to T-mobile to pick out a new phone, and to my amazement he suggested the fanciest one they had in the store. Internet, email, text messaging, pictures... it seemed to have everything. A couple of years later, when the new version was released, the Sidekick 3, I had to have it. It was smaller, sleeker, faster, and had a built in mp3 player. Katherine even suggested today that the Sidekick had become part of my persona. People associated me with my Sidekick.

Today, all of that ended. I could no longer afford the luxury of the $20/month data service that the Sidekick required. I was forced to downgrade my phone plan, and kiss my faithful companion goodbye. Luckily, I was qualified for one of those phone upgrades, and with a little of my leftover birthday cash, I think I obtained a decent replacement.

Meet the Nokia 5310 ExpressMusic. I had to get an mp3 phone, and I think I got a good one. It doesn't do all the fancy internet stuff, but it has good sound quality to boot. It also weighs less than half of what the Sidekick did, and Katherine says she likes the way it looks better. I will keep you posted on how I adjust to the new phone.

P.S. If anyone is on the market for a Sidekick 3... I know where they can get one pretty cheap...

3 comments:

Annie said...

WHAT????!!!! No more "Game Boy"??? Who am I going to call when I need a random look on the internet??? Not to mention, the first time I met you I was able to HOLD the Sidekick.....a BIG deal I found out later.....hope you'll enjoy your new cool guy red phone!

austinmcraig said...

It's a landmark day, when Landon Pratt downgrades. I wish I could take you up on the offer for the SK3, but I'm holding out for the biggest and best, hopefully something running Android. Good luck, dear sir.

austinmcraig said...

Also, who is going to be my high tech "big brother"? Whose hand-me-down electronics can I look forward to now?(sniff...) I guess I understand...(sniff)...you had to...

I've gotten the same association since I've adopted your old Sidekick. Rob Brill will "OnStar" me whenever he has a question about anything.